At Good Shepherd, we believe in creating a supportive environment which serves the need of the whole student while providing a rigorous educational program. While our curriculum is aligned with the Virginia Standards of Learning, we are not bound to or restricted by state testing. Classes are guided by SOL topics, but student learning is assessed in ways that keep stress and anxiety to a minimum. Our small class sizes allow teachers the flexibility to focus on the materials and the students’ enjoyment of learning rather than preparing them for a test Additionally, teachers are able to approach instruction in ways that best meet the needs of their particular class and students.
What we do:
- Instill in students the desire to take responsibility for their education and success, to think critically and to problem solve.
- Provide a small student/teacher ratio that encourages multi-age interaction and teamwork.
- Support dynamic and talented teachers who shape the curriculum and encourage all students to perform their best.
- Use positive reinforcement to encourage student growth.
- Encourage community service and giving to others, particularly through team efforts.
- Develop student citizens, balancing self-confidence with responsibility and compassion, leadership with cooperation, and intellectual challenge with social acceptance and tolerance.