Joint Community Statement
The Church of the Good Shepherd, Episcopal and Good Shepherd Episcopal School
November 3, 2023
In 1971, The Church of the Good Shepherd founded Good Shepherd Episcopal School with the goal of further providing a Christian education for its local community. For over 50 years, the School has shared deep and meaningful experiences with its families, and it has educated thousands of students through its operation in the Church’s space. The School is an independent school accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools and recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Virginia.
The Church of the Good Shepherd opened in 1908 and has served multiple generations of Richmonders with its leadership in outreach and missions. Throughout its history, The Church of the Good Shepherd has maintained its identity as an Episcopal Church within the Diocese of Southern Virginia.
While the Church and the School are separate religious organizations, each is grounded in the Episcopal faith.
The School and the Church have followed a joint Usage Agreement that governs the School’s operations in the Church’s space. In June 2023, differences of opinion emerged relating to the Usage Agreement and the relationship of the parties.
In October 2023, the Church and the School formally met to discuss those differences, their relationship and the future of the School’s continued operation in the Church’s space. Coming out of that meeting, the Church and the School – collectively – are pleased to announce their renewed commitment to each other, as well as to the School’s continued operation in the Church’s space for the duration of the current Usage Agreement, with the
possibility to extend beyond.
Both the Church’s Vestry and the School’s Board of Trustees hereby express appreciation for each other, their leaders, and their shared commitment to serving each organization’s constituencies moving forward.