- lower school
During the Lower School years, we are building the foundational skills for academic (reading, math, science, social studies) and relational skills that form the building blocks students will use as they progress in their education. We believe that all children have their own unique learning styles. We encourage students to become independent learners and negotiate problems and handle conflict with their peers through teacher modeling and guidance.
We use whole group instruction, small groups, collaborative activities, and exploration to enhance the learning experience. Creative writing, higher mathematics, research/scientific process, computer science concepts and increasing personal responsibility are emphasized as students progress academically and emotionally.
Language Arts are taught with phonics, sight words, reading, and writing along with novels, stories, and word roots. Math utilizes activities and manipulatives. Students work in small groups and one-on-one with their teachers, and work is kept fun with plenty of games, puzzles and brainteasers. Every other week, older children mentor younger “book buddies” as they read together.
We emphasize honesty, taking responsibility for actions and materials, and kindness and compassion towards others. We celebrate our differences and try to encourage students to support each other.
Typical School Day
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. (Optional drop off and tutoring at 7:30 a.m.; Extended day available until 5:30 p.m.)
- Day begins with work designed to reinforce previously learned concepts. We also use this time for one-on-one corrections, remediation and enrichment.
- Grades 1 and 2 get core subjects throughout the day with enrichments intermingled with core curriculum.
- Chapel once a week, Wednesday morning (participatory and sometimes student led)
- K-8 has outdoor education
- Twice weekly enrichments: Spanish, P.E., Computer Science, Library, Social Skills
- Offered throughout year on rotating basis: Performing Arts, Visual Arts, and Makerspace (hands, cross-disciplinary learning lab using technology, reading, writing, visual arts and kinesthetics)
- Classes also perform for Grandparents Day and enjoy field trips throughout the year